Saturday, April 11, 2015

How Pinteresting

I spend a fair amount of my time cooking.

I enjoy cooking. It's very therapeutic, except for when I come across a recipe that says something subjective like, "stir vigorously." Recipes like that stress me out.

AWKWARD MORMON GIRL: Am I stirring with enough vigor? Or is this too much vigor? How do I know if I'm doing it right?

As I'm sure you all know, Pinterest is a lovely website that supplies all the recipes of the internet to food lovers like me. You can find anything on Pinterest, including fudge that looks like raw meat. I have never tried the fudge-that-looks-like-raw-meat recipe, but I have found other delights, some of which have quickly become my favorite recipes.

Now, usually the recipes on Pinterest are represented by a single picture of the end product and a piece of text with the title of the recipe. Like so:

















The issue with this is sometimes I pin a recipe that looks simple in the picture and title, only to later open the link and discover that it requires half a baby seal, saffron, and the salt of the Dead Sea. Obviously I don't have the ingredients or the time to make such a thing, and I wish that I hadn't pinned this recipe I will obviously never make.

In what seems to be an effort to remedy this, people have started creating pins that have the entire recipe in picture form on them. This allows me to vet the recipe without ever opening the link, but sometimes causes confusion.

For example, not long ago I found such a recipe on Pinterest. I immediately began to interpret the pictures.

AWKWARD MORMON GIRL: You take some chicken...
AWKWARD MORMON GIRL: And cover it with pepper jack cheese...
AWKWARD MORMON GIRL: And some peanut butter...
AWKWARD MORMON GIRL: And some granola.











That was when I realized that there was an additional picture at the top of the recipe:














Also, the text accompanying the recipe said something like "Swiss Cheese Chicken! This is one of the best and easiest recipes! I love it!" etc.

AWKWARD MORMON GIRL: Well, I may have been wrong about most of these things...but that cheese is definitely not Swiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?