Saturday, July 7, 2018

My Other Week with HelloFresh

My final two recipes with HelloFresh were Crab Cakes Under a Lemon-Dressed Salad with Fingerling Potatoes and Lemon Aioli and Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Cucumber Tomato Salad. Once again, one of the recipes I'd chosen (the crab cakes) was premium, so I paid $10 extra for the privilege of trying it.


After several days of lollygagging about in New York, cooking for myself again was a little intimidating, so I was pleased I had HelloFresh to ease back into it. No grocery shopping or meal planning required. Huzzah!

The first meal I prepared was the Crab Cakes Under a Lemon-Dressed Salad with Fingerling Potatoes and Lemon Aioli. I've been wanting to learn to make my own crab cakes for a while, so I was annoyed (but in retrospect, should not have been surprised) to see that the crab cakes were pre-assembled. They just wanted pan-cooking. Great for speediness, but not so great for learning crab cake skillz. Boo.


I was also sad to see that "lemon-dressed salad" was actually code for "lemony arugula from a previous recipe but now it's disguised as a salad through the addition of grape tomatoes and chopped scallions." You can't fool me, HelloFresh! Not even for a minute.

Also, I do want to note that while I've never had a problem with ingredient quality in my other food subscription box deliveries, the produce for this recipe was a bit sad. I made the crab cakes the day after receiving the box. The arugula and scallions were already wilty, and the tomatoes appeared to be not long for this world.

As with previous HelloFresh recipes, every recipe step was kind of meshed together into a weird simultaneous rush. I was washing and drying and chopping produce, roasting the fingerling potatoes, cooking the crab cakes, mixing the aioli, and assembling the salad at essentially the same time.

The potatoes were essentially the same as the three varieties of potato I made with Blue Apron except they were fingerlings, not Yukon golds, and the spice blend was just a packet of pure smoked paprika. Smoked paprika was one of the many ingredients in the salmon burger spice blend. I'd enjoyed that spice blend, so I was curious to see how smoked paprika did on its own.

Also like the salmon burgers, the crab cakes were ridiculous to cook. Very difficult to flip over without breaking in half!

Finally, I was dismayed to see that the lemon-dressed salad called for only half the packet of arugula. I didn't want to waste half a packet of arugula! And I don't even like arugula! (I ended up giving the rest to my mom and telling her the recipe for the lemony arugula. She's the kind of person who would think lemony arugula is a treat.)

In spite of my little gripes and the hectic nature of everything, the preparations themselves weren't complex. When all was done (it's been a few weeks, so I forget the exact cook time, but I think it took about forty-five minutes), I plated everything, even following the instructions to put the crab cakes under the salad.


I forgot to garnish the plate with the remaining scallions, but nobody cares because topping food with scallions for no reason is stupid.

The Verdict: Very tasty! The crab cakes were great, I loved the potatoes seasoned with spiced paprika, and the arugula was much more palatable as a lemon-dressed salad. I ended up eating most of it this time around. The lemon aioli was great on the cakes, the potatoes, and the salad. Also, putting the salad on top of the crab cakes did let the lemon and tomato juices soak into the crab cakes, which believe you me was a wonderful thing. The recipe did only make two servings, which were light enough that I had room for dessert after.

What I'd Do Differently: I still want to learn to make crab cakes on my own; I don't want to be reliant on pre-packaged crab cakes (quality ones are $$$). But I would definitely serve them with these potatoes, the aoili, and a salad with tomatoes and lemon (though possibly with lettuce or another viable arugula substitute).

My second choice for the week was Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Cucumber Tomato Salad.

I'm really not a big pork person, especially when it comes to pulled pork. I am, however, a secret lover of fun grilled cheese recipes. And one of the great things about these subscription boxes is that it's easier to get out of your comfort zone when you're only cooking a few servings of food at a time.

I was therefore pretty excited to try these sandwiches, but the day I got my box, Little Sister told me that she and Mr. Little Sister had also ordered this recipe (in a complimentary box I sent them because HelloFresh does that), and it was disappointing. Little Sister loves pulled pork, so I figured that if she didn't like the sandwiches, I wouldn't like them either.


Once again, the produce was sketch. I made the sandwiches three days after I made the crab cakes, and by that point, the tomato and the cucumber were disconcertingly soft.

As I looked at the recipe, I understood Little Sister's disappointment. First of all, I'd been imagining cooking pork in some kind of sweet sauce, like Cafe Rio pork. The pork was actually pre-cooked and pre-shredded with no apparent sauce whatsoever. Also, I was supposed to make an "onion jam" to go with it. What?! Onion on my grilled cheese? No, thank you! Onions in a jam? Definitely no, thank you! Onions do not go in jam.

Regardless of my personal feelings, I felt duty-bound to try the recipe out, so I prepared the produce as usual. I made the onion jam with the onion, olive oil, sugar, vinegar, and salt and pepper. I also crisped up the pork in a pan with more oil and salt and pepper. I then filled the big slices of bread with cheddar cheese, the pork, and the onion jam. Happily, grilling the sandwiches without them coming all apart was not as big of a challenge as I expected.


While all of this was going on, I was also making the salad. Which took like two seconds. Chopped cucumber and tomato in a bowl with more vinegar, oil, and salt and pepper. Done. Again, it's been a little while, but I believe the whole process lasted about fifty-five minutes.


The Verdict: Ummmm wow. This was actually really good! Well, the salad was nothing special. The sandwiches, though! The pork was crispy and salty while the onions were a little sweet and a little tart. I couldn't get enough. While there was only enough bread and salad for two servings, I ended up having enough filling for four sandwiches (I made the final two using bread from the store). If you average that out, this was another three-serving meal.

What I'd Do Differently: I'm just hoping I can find similarly packaged pork to make these again some day! So good! I'd serve them with the salad, too...just with fresher veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?