Monday, May 14, 2018

Angry Sonnets

I was angry, so I wrote angry sonnets. But. One is about real life. One is from the viewpoint of a fictional character. One is about a restaurant. Which is which?! I'll never tell.

Note: I must be out of practice with sonnets, because it took me literally weeks to write these, and they're still a bit rough. Also, for some reason, I decided not to use any punctuation except in the couplets at the end. It kind of makes you slow down on the last two lines, creating a ritardando effect. Yay pretentiousness!

I wish that I could tell you how I feel
You wish that I would simply disappear
Well, seeing you does not come as a thrill
I wish I could be anywhere but here
You wish you'd cut me off much long before
I wish that you'd been honest all along
I never wanted to become a chore
How could I know that everything was wrong?
I wish that I could hate you but I don't
Nor have I had the blessing to forget
I wish that you'd forgive me but you won't
Though hard hearts lead to nothing but regret
A piece of unsolicited advice:
Is this really what you want? Please think twice.

A stupid person causes loved ones pain
A stupid person wounds a friend offhand
They might do hurtful things and not explain
Because they think their friend will understand
They let things sit in silence far too much
They think the words are better left unsaid
They damage every friendship that they touch
And somehow think they might come out ahead
I guess that I'm a stupid person then
I never thought of how you might be hurt
I guess I simply didn't comprehend
I guess I kinda treated you like dirt
You were the best out of all of my friends;
Hard to believe this is how it all ends.

Of all the things I've lost I never thought
I'd ever have to count you in that group
So now that means there's one last thing I've got
And one less way my spirits can recoup
I can't begin to tell you how I feel
I feel as though my heart is on the ground
I've stayed together by an act of will
Though inwardly my sorrow's tightly wound
I thought that nothing could tear us apart
Just goes to show how little that I know
I don't know why you feel you must restart
I don't know why you feel you have to go
Do you not realize? And do you not care?
Do you not notice? Why aren't you aware?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?