Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Story of My Life

As an LDS, I went to a class called seminary. As a young adult, I go to a class called institute.

Seminary has four years, one each for a different book of scripture (Old Testament (and Pearl of Great Price if I recall correctly), New Testament, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants). Institute has endless years (until you graduate or get super old) and there are a variety of semester-long classes. Some focus on particular books of scripture, but some focus on only one thing: Christ, latter-day prophets, even dating and other relationships.

Throughout my years of classes, I've used the same set of scriptures. However, I've switched marking pencil colors throughout the years. Therefore, when I open up my scriptures at institute and see a marking, I can usually tell when it's from.

Today at institute, I found a highlighted verse, 1 Nephi 4:6. "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do."

Next to it, in one of the marking pencils from my teenage years, I'd written this notation: "This is beginning to be my life's story..."

And next to that, in a marking pencil from my college years, I'd written, "Oh, teenage Awkward Mormon Girl, you have no idea."

Today, when I read those notes, I laughed. Because college Awkward Mormon Girl thought she was so much smarter than teenage Awkward Mormon Girl. But really, college Awkward Mormon Girl was only slightly less clueless than our teenage counterpart. That verse really has turned into the story of my life. That's all. The End. Go to institute. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?