Monday, February 27, 2017

Promote Promote

As some of you might know, Little Brother is a YouTube star. Sort of. Kind of. A little bit.

For the past few years, he's run a YouTube channel called Helga von Eggwitz. Helga is a sarcastic chicken who has very specific views about the world around her. She has become pretty popular with Little Brother's middle school- and high school-aged friends as well as among some of my own friends.

I've alluded to Helga before. Little Brother asked me several times to promote her on the blog. I told him it would be easier to promote if I could tell people that he was the one behind Helga. The people who read this blog are presumably interested in me, not in random YouTube videos, so it seemed unlikely they would appreciate having videos of a chicken recommended to them unless they understood my personal connection to said videos.

However, Little Brother resisted because he didn't want people to connect him to Helga.

Finally, though, Little Brother has given me permission to reveal him as Helga's puppeteer. Because when I say Helga is a chicken, I mean Helga is a chicken puppet. A live-hand chicken puppet, to be exact. I don't know if it's all the Fraggle Rock that Little Brother has seen or what, but he's a naturally talented puppeteer. He does little nuances and expressions that he clearly learned from observing the works of Jim Henson. And the kid has a crackin' sense of humor (which he obviously gets from me).

What else can I say? If what I've said about Helga interests you, check it out!

Confession: I've been dying to use this GIF since I first saw it on a tumblr called Avatar Parallels. I'm not sure where it originally came from, though. As far as I can tell, GIFs are one of the few things on the Internet whose origins you don't have to cite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?