Saturday, February 25, 2017

The Write Way

I made a resolution this year to write recreationally every week.

The problem with this resolution is that when I'm feeling inspired and want to write, I can't. When I have time to write, I feel uninspired, and it seems like everything I write turns out wordy and in passive voice.

I question my life choice to become a writer. It's been so long since I wrote a coherent story with good characters that was actually well-written and that I liked.

Ugh ugh ugh.

2 comments:

  1. Unsolicited advice from random people on the internet typically isn't worth the paper it's not printed on, but anyway...have you considered a writing group or some other form of external deadline? It's the only way I can reliably overcome my composer's block. External deadlines force me to budget my time, make me weed out weak ideas more quickly, and keep the process from being too solitary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as unsolicited advice goes, that's pretty good. I do find that if I show a work in progress to someone, that someone should not be another writer (with a few notables exceptions). Sometimes we writers get caught up in offering critiques to other writers that help their writing become what we think it should be, rather than offering critiques to other writers that help their writing become what they're trying to make it. It's good to share, though.

      Delete

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?