Friday, December 15, 2017

My Tenth Stitch Fix Experience

So winter happened, and when winter happened I discovered that I basically didn't have any warm winter shirts that aren't sweaters.

First off, a disclaimer: I love sweaters. I have a small department store's worth of them. But they're darned hard to care for. I figured I needed some easier winter shirts.

Thus I scheduled a Fix (my tenth!) and dashed off a note to Jessica V, explaining that I needed warm winter shirts (that weren't blouses or sweaters) and warm winter dresses, too.

I experienced an avalanche of delight when I opened my Fix and found not one but two bundles of clothes. Better yet, they were wrapped in special holiday wrap!!!

Instead of taking one picture of each bundle, I took two pictures of the same one...IDK.


Then I experienced an avalanche of shock as soon as I opened my stylist's note.

Hi Awkward Mormon Girl, Jessica is not available to style this Fix, but I took extra time today to review your Style Profile and Fix History to get familiar with your style!

Jessica V "is not available?" Then who the flip are you??? (Further perusal showed that this stylist goes by the sketchy alias of "Jill.")

Thank you for leaving a request for warm winter tops and dresses...we've got you covered! I started with the legging-like Liverpool skinny jeans.

Wait...jeans? I'm not really in the market for jeans, girlfriend. I replaced literally all of my old jeans earlier this year.

The inseam should be perfect! Pair the jeans with the burgundy knit top for a cute and casual style. I also added the cozy pullover sweater. It's sure to keep you warm on the colder days ahead.

What did I say about sweaters, Jill? Hmm? I said, "No sweaters!" I'm pretty sure I said those literal exact words, except without the exclamation point. Because using an exclamation point would be rude.

I hope you love the Marc New York Puffer Coat. Both the quality and craftsmanship are top-notch! Enjoy exploring these new arrivals. And as always, please leave feedback. Happy Fix Day :) Your stylist, Jill

Whoa, Jill. Whoa. Whoa. You're not "my stylist," okay? Jessica V is my stylist. You're just filling in while she's gone.

(Also, Jill, you're supposed to end a Fix note in an XO, not a smiley face. Geez.)

Most of the trying-on process was just me having an internal dialogue with Jill. Like so:


Liverpool Elizabeth Super Skinny Jean: "I don't need jeggings, Jill." (In spite of the name, these pants are totally jeggings and not real jeans.) *as I'm sliding the pants on* "Do not want, do not need—oh my gosh, these are so comfy."

I feel like this happens every time Stitch Fix sends me jeans, buuuuut...Verdict: Keep.


Dual Nature Celeste Knit Top: I was actually very pleased with this top. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to get in my Fix, and I didn't direct any irate comments towards Jill while I was trying it on. I recently bought myself a jumper, and I tried the top with the jumper to see if it worked. (I love that about Stitch Fix.) Verdict: Keep.


Le Lis Kano Textured Knit Dress: I liked the look of the dress, but I was irritated that it was short-sleeved. "I said warm dresses, Jill! What part of  'warm' do you not understand—" *tries on dress* "—wow, this really is warm." Sure enough, despite being a winter dress with no actual sleeves (?!), it was quite warm, looked lovely beneath a cardigan, and actually fell below my knees. Verdict: Keep.

I wasn't sure what to think about the last two items.


Evolution by Cyrus Yvonna Mock Neck Pullover Sweater: "I said no sweaters!"

The sweater looked all right on me, but besides being a sweater and not what I desired, it was reeeaaally staticky. It clung to my hair like a crazy hair-clinging thing.


Marc New York Risor Quilted Puffer Coat: "Jill! My style profile says no coats! I don't need a coat; I already have a perfectly good coat." *tries on coat* "Wow, this looks really good on me...especially the color..."

In all honesty, my puffy winter coat is actually pretty old and ugly; I'm just adverse to spending money on a new coat when I have one that's serviceable enough. Plus the coat was (I thought) way too expensive.

When faced with such decisions, I do what any sensible girl would do and text my mom and sisters, asking whether they thought I should buy the coat. If I did, then I would need to buy the sweater as well (since buying all five items and getting a discount was less money than buying the four items I really liked).

I got mixed feedback, but my mom was the one with the strongest opinion (and the most difficult phone to text on).

Mom: Static can be managed with fabric softener sheets. YOU Can Use More PANTS dear. And a cute coat. You need to spend some on yourself. You are such a great saver but you are only young and cute once. I don't tell the others to buy more clothes but you need them.

With that kind of endorsement, I decided to go ahead and buy everything.


(P. S. I also sent a picture to see what they thought of the top-and-jumper combo.

Mom: The jumper is cute with that top. GOOD color on you.love you

I thought that it worked. Older Sister thought that it didn't. Little Sister seemingly abstained. What do y'all think?)

Anyway, in closing, I guess that Jill did an all right job and that I can grudgingly like her and not feel super disloyal to Jessica V. Although...now that I think of it...Jessica V was the one who abandoned me, not the other way round! So I shouldn't feel guilty about having a fling with Jill, right? I think? The ethics of client-stylist relationships are a little unclear to me.

If you've got a hankering to make Jessica V or Jill or some other hapless person pick out a bunch of clothes for you, go ahead and sign up for Stitch Fix using this here referral link! You get a Fix, and I get $25 in credit. It's fun for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?