Friday, December 4, 2015

A Fear of Doing Good

Something's on my mind.

It's been on my mind for a while now. A month at least. I've brought it up in my institute class and in the temple prep class that I teach. I think about it all the time.

It's from Doctrine and Covenants Section 6. I love Section 6. Section 6 has gotten me through the past year. It seems like every time I read it, I notice something new.

One day, I particularly noticed these verses:
33 Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward.

34 Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.
At first I was like, "That's so weird! Why are we being told not to be afraid of doing good? Who's afraid of doing good? Why would anyone be afraid of that?!"

But then I thought about all those times I considered helping somebody out, but didn't. The reasons I didn't help them out usually weren't, "I don't have the time/money/desire to help." They were usually one of the following:

1) "They probably won't want my help."

2) "They will think I'm weird for noticing that they need help. They'll think I'm a stalker/have a crush on them."

3) "Someone else will do it better than I could."

4) "They would prefer that somebody else help them."

And so and so forth. In short, I don't help because I'm afraid of looking silly or embarrassing myself or butting in where I'm not wanted.

Isn't that weird? Humans are weird.

I know I'm not the only person who feels this way. When I mentioned this to my temple prep class in connection with how service prepares us for the temple, so many students told stories of how they helped somebody that they were afraid to help or how somebody else they didn't know well helped them. Their words taught me that most of the time, people are glad to receive help of any kind. We shouldn't be so afraid of offering service to one another!

Anyways, that's my spiel. It's Christmas. Let's serve each other and not be afraid. K thnx bye.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, love this! A couple summers ago I had been thinking about this a little and around the same time we had a ward FHE lesson about listening to the Spirit. Sister Buchanan was talking about how she had decided to act on every good thought because all good things come from God. Which I thought was SO cool! I guess I had already known this, but that lesson made it so much more real. Since then I have consciously tried to live by that as well, even though you are right, sometimes it is scary!

    I love that you are sharing this now. Not just because it is the Christmas season, but also because so many frightening and evil things are happening in the world right now. Every bit of good we choose to do and every good thought we act on contributes to the cumulative good in the world!

    Thank you for sharing!

    Love,

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heeey girl! Thank YOU! That was exactly what I needed to hear today. I hope that I will be able to see you...sometime...someday.

      Delete

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?