Monday, January 29, 2018

My Utah Accent

When I worked in fast food, I encountered some interesting human specimens. We got all kinds: Unbelievably nice. Unbelievably rude. Junior high kids. Senior citizens. Generic. Extremely quirky.

One man came in just once, on a bright summer's day. If I recall correctly, he was a shorter fellow with gray hair and glasses. I was taking his order when he said something like, "You have such a good Utah accent."

Obviously, I was taken aback. To the best of my memory, the rest of the conversation went along these lines.

AWKWARD MORMON GIRL: Uh...thanks?

CUSTOMER: Oh, it's a compliment. I'm not from around here. I'm a linguist, so I'm interested in accents, but for some reason I just can't do a Utah one.

AWKWARD MORMON GIRL: Oh, okay. Well, your order is such-and-such-and-such.

CUSTOMER: You just do it SO WELL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?