Monday, January 22, 2018

Upon the Passing of a Prophet

A few weeks ago, President Thomas S. Monson passed away. He was the president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for ten years and led my people through some defining moments.

His predecessor, Gordon B. Hinckley, was the first prophet I remember with any clarity. President Hinckley was such a cute old man. He reminded me of my great-grandfather, and, young and impatient thought I was, I didn't begrudge having to listen to him speak during the long hours of general conference. It wasn't hard for me to accept that he was the Lord's mouthpiece because he was just so likable. President Hinckley's counselor, President Monson, was a different matter. I thought that he looked kind of funny and that his lisping voice was uncomfortable-making. I didn't like listening to him speak at all.

When President Hinckley passed away, my mom and sister were really excited about President Monson becoming the next president of the church. I didn't feel that way, though.

However. Three months later, when President Monson stood to speak at the next general conference session, I was shocked. He had aged so much since the last conference! He looked haggard and worn...not good at all. At that moment, I came to appreciate the passing of the mantle of a prophet and saw with my own eyes that it carries an almost physical weight. I also understood that even though I didn't care much for President Thomas S. Monson personally, he really was the new mouthpiece of the Lord. I could sustain him without reservation.

Over the years, I did come to appreciate President Monson as a person, but if I hadn't, it wouldn't have mattered or changed the authority that he held. And over the last few years, as President Russell M. Nelson drew closer to being the next president of the church, I observed him closely and listened to what he had to say. I've had an usually large number of opportunities to hear President Nelson and/or his wife speak outside of general conference the last few years, both through broadcasts and in person. President Nelson's words are good, and they are true, and I know they are the Lord's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?