Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Awkward Mormon Girl in the Big Apple

Last spring, Older Sister said to Little Sister and me, "This time next year, we're going to New York."

It is a lifelong dream of Older Sister's to go to New York City. In her lifetime, she's been to the East Coast and the West Coast. She's visited Mexico. She lived in South America during her mission. Yet she has never, ever made it to New York City.

Little Sister and I were all, "Yeah, cool, Older Sister." This was said with about 53% skepticism. We thought it would be fun to go, but we sort of doubted it would actually happen.

Then, suddenly, we found ourselves buying plane tickets, and we realized that we are legitimately going to NYC in the spring of 2015.

This had been surreal to me, and I believe surreal to Little Sister, but not so for Older Sister in the fact that she seems to have envisioned her trip to New York for so long that she knows exactly what it will be like.

Broadway shows, restaurants, historical sites, department stores, sightseeing, three museums and three city tours, the temple, Central Park--Older Sister is planning it all to the minute.

Little Sister and I have been helping. Sort of.

OLDER SISTER: (after spending ten minutes trying to decide what sights to see while waiting for our Brooklyn pizza tour) I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

AWKWARD MORMON GIRL: Yeah, the Brooklyn Bridge.

OLDER SISTER: Do you guys care if we don't go to the top of the Statue of Liberty?

AWKWARD MORMON GIRL: If we're already going to the top of the Empire State Building and the top of the Rock, then I see no reason to go to the top of the Statue of Liberty, too. Unless there is a singing French pigeon up there. In which case I am all for that.

OLDER SISTER: I just had an idea. What if-

LITTLE SISTER: We reenacted all of An American Tail? Yes.

Then Little Sister and I high-fived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?