Saturday, April 6, 2013

How I Chose My Institution of Higher Learning

My college is basically like High School Musical, except without the singing. Or the dancing. Or the Disney. Or the happiness.

We do, however, have a basketball court.

Almost the only reason I attend this school because they're giving me a full-ride scholarship. Also, churros.

I mean, yes, I prayed about where I should go to college and stuff, but I didn't overwhelmingly feel that I needed to go anywhere in particular. One day, my mom said, "Hey. Nameless Utah College is having an accepted students day. Let's check it out."

And we went. And Nameless Utah College wasn't any worse than any of the other colleges I'd checked out. In some ways it was better, and seeing that my first choice college wasn't really an option, and neither was my second choice, or my third, Nameless Utah College was as good a consideration as any.

So we were at this accepted students thing, I really had no idea where I was going to go, and then they served us lunch and there were churros.

I told you there were churros involved. Like, three paragraphs ago. You probably thought I was kidding. Well, I wasn't. Churros were a major factor in this decision.

But not just any churros. These were really good churros, as many as I wanted, with plenty of cinnamon and sugar and whipped cream. And I was all, "Hey. I like churros. If I go here and they give me churros, I could live with that."

I mean, I was joking, but I was also partly serious. When I didn't feel particularly compelled by any other schools, and when I realized I could live with my family and commute and not have to be homesick, and that I would hardly have to pay a cent for my education, the churros were only the icing on the cake that was Nameless Utah College.

Then I actually got here. At that point I realized how much the school and I are not suited for each other. In almost the same instant, however, for the first time I knew in my soul it was where my God wanted me to be. Anti-intuitive, I know, but that's how it went down.

So here I am, and here the school is, and though we mostly make each other miserable, in another way we really feel blessed to have one another. At least, the school likes to tell me in its happy-schlappy newletters that it thinks I'm a special snowflake. For my own part, despite my complaints I realize how good I have it--especially when the college gives me free food.

Even though I let churros influence one of my major life decisions, it has all worked out. It's a happy ending. Like the ending of a Disney movie. Maybe even High School Musical. In fact, definitely High School Musical, because both of the stories end with graduation. I mean, theoretically. I haven't actually finished college yet, and now that I think about it I'm not even sure that they graduate at the end of High School Musical 3. Even though my friend Porch was an extra in it and apparently has quite a bit of screen time, I've never seen High School Musical 3. And you know what? I'm fine with that.

Here's a picture of some churros:

Mmm. Churros.

P.S. If I ever announce that I'm marrying someone and that it's because he gives me churros, virtually slap me, all right? It's okay to let churros dictate which college you go to, but letting churros dictate who you marry is just ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?