Monday, December 22, 2014

He Is the Gift

I have to say, The Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite Christmas stories.

Now, now, my good people. Before you cry, "Foul!" and "That's not a Christmas story!" allow me to compare the story of Frodo to the story of Christ.

A humble hobbit chooses to carry a great burden for the sake of his people. He suffers all kinds of afflictions and anguish. While he ends up adored by many from other lands, most of his own people fail to recognize the sacrifice he made for him.

Sound familiar? Then try Harry Potter on for size.

Harry chooses to die for the people he loves. When he willingly lays down his life, it evokes an ancient magic that saves those he dies for. His death allows his friends to live. And then Harry comes back to life, giving a whole new meaning to the phrase "The Boy Who Lived."

I could go on. Every love story--I don't mean a romantic story but a true love story of sacrifice--is a Christmas story. It's a retelling of the story of the man that Christmas is all about. A retelling of the story of our brother, savior, lord, and king, Jesus Christ.

I'm a gift person; I told you this. And His sacrifice is the greatest gift I have ever received.

Merry Christmas.

And God bless us, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?