Saturday, February 27, 2016

Over the Garden Wall

I'm in love, I'm in love, and I don't care who knows it!

I saw Over the Garden Wall on a Sunday night. By the next Sunday night, I had purchased it on DVD.

I know, I know, it's crazy! It's like those people who suddenly become engaged after dating for only like five minutes. I'm never like that. I don't just buy DVDs willy-nilly. I don't really buy DVDs at all. I don't own my favorite movie (How to Train Your Dragon) or my second-favorite movie (Muppet Treasure Island). And don't even get me started on how long it takes me to to become invested in people. I usually know people for months, sometimes even years, before I decide I want to invest any time or emotions or stuff in them.

But I looked on Over the Garden Wall, and I loved it. I loved everything about it. It has a fascinating premise, and great characters, and even some fun musical numbers. So I bought it, and it is mine, and someday I shall show it to my children and force them to hope that they love it, too.

*plays the clarinet and recites poetry*
Now I'll tell you about this thing which I love so much. Over the Garden Wall is a miniseries by Cartoon Network. The premise is that two brothers, Wirt and Gregory, find themselves lost in the woods. In the first episode, they meet a depressed woodsman who warns them to beware the Beast. What does this mean? They don't know. And I can't tell you without giving everything away (yes, it's one of those shows). But it suffices me to say that shenanigans ensue, songs are sung, and black turtles are seen everywhere.

I mentioned that the characters are great. They are so great. I am particularly fond of Wirt, who is played by Elijah Wood. While Greg is an incurable optimist who would make a Shirley Temple character look like Oscar the Grouch, Wirt is a passive, insecure realist. If you're wondering what that combination looks like, I can only tell you that it involves playing the clarinet and reciting overwrought poetry and that it is hilarious.

Are you wondering why I'm telling you this? I'm telling you this because I believe you need to watch Over the Garden Wall. Yes, you. I have seriously spent the last several weeks trying to make everyone watch it. "Everyone" includes my roommates, people in my improv troupe, and an attractive coworker that I enjoy conversing with. It doesn't include Viola, but only because I'm in the process of forcing her to watch Avatar: The Last Airbender. After she's done with that, I'll probably force her to watch this, too.

Over the Garden Wall can be found on Hulu, iTunes, and DVDs that can be purchased via the internet. It's only ten ten-minute episodes, so I recommend watching it in one sitting, like a movie.

Go forth! Go find it! And enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?