Monday, February 29, 2016

Leap Year

When I was a child, I heard that girls could propose on Leap Day and it wouldn't be weird. So I decided that, naturally, if I was in my twenties and I wasn't married and it was Leap Year, I would just propose and be done with it.

Apparently, as a child, I did not understand the concept of rejection. I understand it now, and I did not dare propose to anyone today.

However. At work, there's a guy in my block of desks who sometimes likes to read random things from the internet aloud. And today, he read an article about how if a woman proposes to a man on Leap Day and he refuses, he has to give her money or buy her a new dress.

And I was like, "Hmm, that would almost be worth it."

And then he added that another acceptable payment on the man's part is a dozen pairs of gloves...so that the girl can use them to hide her shame of not having an engagement ring.

At first I was like, "What." And then I was like, "That would be pretty useless nowadays. People generally don't wear gloves." But then I remembered how many pairs of winter gloves I've lost since I moved out of my parents house (read: all of them) and suddenly twelve pairs of nice, warm gloves sounded divine.

Well, if I'm free next Leap Year, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?