Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Impossible? Please. I'll Do It with Ease.

A little over two years ago, I really needed a job.

I scoured job posting sites, looking for positions related to writing, editing, history, and anything else in which I had any level of expertise. Fortunately, I was able to get a writing position in a great company.

Prior to my accepting the job, there were two caveats: 1) I would be a part-time employee, which meant that my hours would vary from week to week, and 2) there were no full-time positions for writers in the company. If I wanted to go full-time I'd have to apply for a different type of position.

I didn't need a full-time job; I just needed a job, and I really wanted this one. I had no problems with accepting those terms.

Thus I started my first grown-up job. I loved working part-time. I earned enough to move out and more, and some weeks I had lots of free time. It was a good life.

However, as my second anniversary of employment approached, I started to worry about the future. Eventually, I would need consistency. Eventually, I would need benefits and retirement and all those things.

I wanted to stay where I was. At the same time, I was hesitant to apply for the full-time positions in my company. I'd applied for some of those positions before, but nothing ever came of it. That was fine by me, because in truth I didn't feel I had the right skill set for those jobs. I really just wanted to be a writer.

This was my internal struggle. I wanted to work full-time, to write, and to stay with my company, but I couldn't have all three of those things. I looked at the situation and thought it was impossible.

I didn't know what to do. I prayed. I pondered. I knew that in the near future, I'd have to make a decision.

Then, a few weeks ago, something astonishing happened.

For the first time in the thirty-odd years of its existence, my company was hiring full-time writers. I was asked if I would like to be one.

I was flabbergasted. I almost started crying. All of my concerns had been answered in one swift solution, and I'd had no idea it was coming. What had seemed impossible the day before had suddenly become possible.

I've thought a lot about this since then. I don't know about you, but I regularly attempt impossible things. At least, things that I deem are impossible. In reality, I never know what other people (especially God) have in the works that might make an impossible thing entirely possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?