Friday, August 4, 2017

The One Where I Clean My Room

It's strange how quickly we get used to things.

When I moved out of my parents' house, I thought my apartment was the coolest thing in the world. After all, for a basement apartment, it's quite lovely. The living-kitchen area is ginormous, with tons of counter space. We have a small laundry room and a pantry. There's a linen closet, a coat closet, a skinny storage closet, and a boiler room/storage space. My room has a walk-in closet. (My roommates' rooms have them as well.) We get all of this at an excellent price that includes utilities.

The first year or two I lived here, keeping the space clean was exciting and easy. For one thing, I was only working about 30 hours a week, but for another thing, I just enjoyed the novelty of having my own place.

However, for at least the past year, keeping our apartment clean has sometimes been a bit of a struggle. It's especially difficult for me to keep my room clean at times. I'm really busy, nobody ever sees my room but me, and it's way easier to throw my clothes on the floor when I'm in a hurry than it is to put them in the hamper or back in the closet.

I planned no activities for July 1st, 2017. I planned no events and no rendezvous. I decided that was the day that I would be a real adult and take control of my life. So I spent almost all day at home...in my room...cleaning that sucker!

Around 4:00, I was able to call it a day. I'd done it! To celebrate, I got myself some takeout from Olive Garden.

I was reminded that, when it's clean, my room is actually pretty cool.






And I was like, "Yeah! I love my room! I love this place! I'm so lucky to have such an awesome apartment!"

Since my very successful day of cleaning my room was over, I decided to watch a movie with my brothers. Baby Brother and I were at the store looking for ice cream to go with said movie when I got a text from my landlord.

"Uh-oh," I said aloud.

The text informed me that my landlord and his wife were selling their house...which meant that they were selling our house...which meant my roommates and I would more than likely soon be homeless.

AWKWARD MORMON GIRL: Well...at least it will probably be easier to pack up my room...now that it's clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?