Friday, October 27, 2017

I Don't Like Slack

Slack. You've probably heard of it. I'd say it's 50% website, 50% app, and 100% trending in the world of business. It's supposed to save you time at work. If you want to discuss something with your coworkers, instead of shooting them an email, you just chat them up on Slack. Bada-bing, bada-boom. Quick and casual.

I used to have a coworker who was obsessed with Slack. I can remember several times when I emailed him and he asked if we could move the conversation to Slack instead. He created tons of different Slack chats and used only the finest gifs offered. He basically had his own little Slack workplace empire.

As you might have guessed from the title, I don't care much for Slack. Here's the thing: even if Slack does save time (and I'm not convinced that it does), it's heckuva inconvenient. I still have to have my email open even when I'm using Slack. Slack just becomes one more window open on my PC that I have to minimize and maximize while I work.

Well, I found out the other day that I'm not alone! There's a modest movement called "Slacklash," fueled by people who think Slack falls short of its intended purpose.

Anybody else use Slack at work? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?