Thursday, May 30, 2013

Idea X

I invited Baby Sister to help me write this blog post, because Baby Sister is perhaps the most dazzling and wondrous person on the face of the Earth. Always I use her to make me look more brilliant than I actually am.

Once I had to make a final project for my eighth-grade science class, a comprehensive one aka a project about everything we'd learned that year. I like to make videos, so I decided to make a video. Baby Sister was the star. She talked all about science and at the end she threw a pie at Little Sister's face.

Well, it wasn't actually a pie. Pies are too expensive for an eighth-grader's movei-making budget. It was a pie tin filled with shaving cream so that it looked like a pie. And Baby Sister didn't actually throw it. Pie tins filled with shaving cream are too light to go far. We filmed her about to throw it and then we filmed it hitting Little Sister in the face from about four inches away. With the right editing, it really looked like Baby Sister had thrown it.

It was beautiful. But I knew my A wasn't from my ability to edit jump-cuts. It was because of Baby Sister. She shone like a sparkling thing in that eighth-grade movie, and as she's gotten older, she's shone even more.

Last year I was supposed to make a comprehensive final project for a Nameless Utah College Honors Program class. Again, film was my medium of choice. The idea behind the project was that I was supposed to talk about what I'd learned that semester. However, I knew that it would sound a million times better coming from Baby Sister than from me. So I told her what I'd learned, and then she talked about it. I captured it on film. I edited it. I brought it to school.

I showed the video to my Honors professors as my final project. Of course, they loved it. They loved her.

One of my professors said, "You say that's your sister?"

"Yes," I said, both because it's true and because I'd have to be a fool to not seize an opportunity to bask in a bit of Baby Sister's light.

"And you all thought that you could think deeply!" the professor exclaimed to my classmates. "Awkward Mormon Girl, tell your sister that she's welcome in this classroom any time."

"Okay," I said. I went home and told Baby Sister that. She didn't even seem surprised, but why should she have been? When you're naturally amazing and everybody loves you, being invited to take college classes way before you are old enough probably isn't surprising at all. I'm sure it happens to Baby Sister all the time.

Such is her power.

Today, Baby Sister has promised me an amazing and world-shattering blog post that she has entitled "Idea X." So far, this is it.

Wait. Now she is saying words of wisdom:

"Seek, learn, and treasure."

"Did you know there's a day celebrating left-handed people?"

"If it is to be, it is up to you."

"Crazy. Wait."

"Crazy, meaningful, not on drugs."

"Blue. Rodents, dogs, and horses. Walk to the park and then be bored."

Ladies and gentlemen, there you have it. Idea X. Bow down before the wonder that is Baby Sister.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh your sister sounds amazing! That must be super annoying and embarrassing for you because I thought you were pretty cool until I realized how cool your sister is.

    ReplyDelete

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?