Thursday, June 8, 2017

Pinterest Is Real Weird

In the five years that I've been on Pinterest, the site has slowly evolved into something I barely recognize.

Five years ago I would "pin" things to my boards. Now I "save" them LIKE ON EVERY OTHER SITE, and it's so boring. Plus it totally ruins the metaphor because you can't "save" things to a pin board in real life, Pinterest.

Five years ago Pinterest would show me pins from the people I followed. Now it shows me pins from people I follow and a bunch of random people and ghosts, apparently, because there are a bunch of disembodied pins that randomly show up on my dash.

I see a lot of pins that are, like, political stuff I don't agree with. Luckily, there's a little button in the lower right hand corner of most pins. You can press it and then let Pinterest know that you don't like that kind of pin.

Unfortunately, near this button is a weird circular hotspot. If you hit the hotspot, Pinterest looks for pins like the one you just hotspotted, and it shows you more pins like that one.

I can't tell you how many pins I've accidentally indicated that Pinterest should show me more of something I actually hated with my entire guts. Last night, I was literally hotspotting a bunch of Kim Possible pins in the hopes that Pinterest would show me more Kim Possible and less of pretty much everything else except delicious recipes, opaque summer shirts, and inspirational thoughts.

Tonight, though, I saw this weird thing that takes the cake (HA HA I'M SO PUNNY OKAY ANYWAY LOOK AT THE PICTURE BELOW).



Pinterest...no.

Pinterest, that is a cactus. It's literally a cactus. A cactus cannot be a "pineapple trend". A cactus is a cactus trend. Because it's a cactus.

In all fairness, I think that what Pinterest is trying to say is that cactus wedding décor is the new pineapple wedding décor. Or the new cake décor. Or something. But guess what, Pinterest? You failed. Failed!

Right now you might be thinking, "You're disproportionately bothered by this."

Right now I'm thinking that you're definitely right but that as a proud American citizen, if I want to complain about Pinterest and cactuses, I'm going to darn well complain about Pinterest and cactuses!

Okay, well, I'm going to bed. Good talk, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?