Saturday, August 23, 2014

Ready or Not

It's been a busy summer.

Right now I am undergoing some major life changes (which I will expound upon further in future posts), which means that I spend approximately 24.78 hours a day coordinating said life changes and praying that I won't spontaneously combust.

The user picture on my laptop is a photo of me, Best Friend Boy, Etch-a-Sketch, and Shutterbug at our high school graduation. I uploaded that photo right before starting college and have never gotten around to changing it. Mostly I don't even notice it anymore, but as I was logging on just now I randomly rediscovered its existence.

When I randomly rediscovered the photo's existence, I remembered the day it was taken. High school graduation is another time of major life changes. When we graduated from high school, all four of us had an idea of how our lives were going to go.

All four of us were (to varying degrees) wrong.

It's a good thing we didn't know it that day--how wrong we were. Making those major life changes was scary enough when we thought we knew what we were doing. It becomes ultimately more terrifying when you realize that you don't have a clue.

It's so terrifying, in fact, that it can be paralyzing. Whenever another major life change comes along, it's tempting to stand at the precipice and ask yourself, "Am I ready for this? Am I ready for this?"

Which is fine--until the act of asking the question becomes so all-consuming that you find yourself unable to make the leap.

In the words of Lemony Snicket: "If we wait until we're ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives."

I don't know if I'm ready.

But here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?