Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Sugar Rush

Seeing the title of this blog post may have misled you to think that this is a post about Wreck-It Ralph. Well, it's not, so don't get too excited. Instead of discussing a great Disney movie with you, I am going to warn you.

About SUGAR!

It all started a few Sundays ago, when I was feeling down. Whenever one of the roommates is having a bad day, the Seamstress likes to whip up a batch of brownies. And these are homemade brownies. Sometimes she flavors them with extract. And when she has lots of time and we're feeling really sad, she makes super-brownies laden with cream cheese and marshmallows and homemade frosting. They are, in a word, glorious.

This Sunday, the Seamstress did not make make me super-brownies, but she did make me some rich brownies with chocolate chips and hazelnut extract. I love all things hazelnut, so you better believe that I guzzled those things like I'd never see a brownie again.

The next day, we went to the state fair to see the Seamstress's quilt. This year, the Seamstress made an amazing jean quilt. And she decided, somewhat on a whim, to enter it into the state fair. And it won first place. So even though it sits on our couch every day, we naturally had to go see it during its stint at the state fair too. And while we were there, we naturally had to also stop at the three-dollar ice cream social where for three dollars we could eat all the ice cream our hearts desired.

My heart desired quite a bit of ice cream.

And then on Wednesday, I came home from the temple to discover that the Seamstress had made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies with some kind of amazing penuche-like frosting. So I had to eat many of those.

That Friday was Etch-a-Sketch's baby shower. The invitation to the shower literally said that we would be eating "sweet treats." The invitation was not wrong. I ate many sweet treats and drank even sweeter substances.

And then Saturday was National Talk Like a Pirate Day. Pepper, the Seamstress, and I woke up at a decent time, dressed as pirates, and went to Krispy Kreme to get free doughnuts. First they gave each of us a fresh, hot doughnut that they literally pulled straight off the conveyor belt on its way out of the glaze machine. So good. Then, they handed us each a box of a dozen, completely free doughnuts.

That's right. Between the three of us, we had three dozen doughnuts.

By the time I made it to Viola's apartment for some hang-out time, I was tired and in a stupor born of the excess of sugar that I had consumed that week.

Viola and I had planned to spend an evening writing together. But my sugar coma had killed my creativeness, and I felt considerably unable to contribute. So in the end, we watched a chick flick and four or five episodes of anime.

Then I went home and slept for a million years and did my best to cleanse myself of all sugar. BECAUSE TOO MUCH SUGAR IS BAD FOR YOU.

Please don't ever let me do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?