Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Three Years Later

Three years ago today, I started this blog.

Last year, I threw a sort-of party for the anniversary of this blog. This year, I partly forgot and partly just let it slide. Because although I love celebrating, I've reached a point in my life where if I want to go out to dinner, I can just go. I can even afford full-price sushi! I can even afford the expensive tickets at the expensive movie theatre! I couldn't think of anything to do to celebrate that I wouldn't do on a normal day. So, that's a no-go.

Looking back, I do feel that in some ways, this blog has gotten off track. I specifically said that I have a hard time writing about stuff I don't care about. Well, for the past year I've felt like I can't write about the things that are always on my mind and that I really care about. I don't want to write about the difficult interpersonal experiences I've had the past year, romantic or otherwise, out of respect for the privacy of others. I don't want to dash off a sad post every time I'm discouraged or frustrated. There's nothing wrong with being discouraged or frustrated; I just don't want my personal corner of the Internet to become a veritable fountain of sob stories. Which is why over the past year, you've been treated to an endless supply of posts about Stitch Fix and the weather.

I've forgotten something important, which is that one of the best ways to deal with difficult stuff is to make fun of yourself as much as possible. Not in a mean-spirited way; just in a way that reminds you to get over yourself. I feel like I could, and should, do that more. This blog would be the perfect outlet.

That being said, I do think I wrote some really great things over the past year. I'd say Passover, New York City, and Carroll Spinney were the highlights.

Anyways, here's to another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?