Thursday, August 25, 2016

Sleepy Time

I've been worried that I'm not sleeping very well, so over the past year and a half I have sometimes used an app to track my sleeping.

The app is pretty easy to use. I just turn it on, put my iPod face down on the bed next to me, and go to sleep. The app also offers a "soundscape" to help me sleep, which is really just a recording of ocean breezes and waves. I'm sure it's supposed to be soothing, but really it sounds like a toddler splashing in a tub.

Somehow, the app uses my movements on the mattress to record my sleep throughout the night. 


The orange stuff is when I'm awake, the green stuff is light sleep, and the blue stuff is deep sleep. Obviously I can't verify that all of this is correct, 'cause I'm asleep, but the patterns of me waking up do often match what I remember from the night.

There's one more color that shows up: gray.


Gray means there's not enough data to be recorded. The gray used to show up occasionally, as seen above. But more and more lately, it's shown up with more gray than color:


Why is this? Do I sleepwalk? Am I accidentally rolling onto my iPod and pinning it to the mattress? Or is it that my iPod, which was the newest and greatest model when I got it, is now super old and incompetent?

Then I got these results:


Either I cease to exist when I'm asleep, or my iPod really is just too old. So I loaded the newer version of the app onto my iPhone and used that instead. The soundscapes on the new version are better. Also, it records my existence as a corporeal being. Win/win, in my opinion. The only downside is that it made me press my thumb against the phone scanner when I woke up this morning, and I was too tired to understand why.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This is Seamstress... you obviously didn't understand the 50% of the blog posts you read, nor do you understand being human. If she didn't like you before, I can promise you she doesn't like you now. If that isn't enough closure... this is creepy, and crosses the line to the point that I'm considering contacting the police.

      Delete
    4. Yeah man, Goldfinger here too, you've crossed multiple lines. This goes beyond a crush to actual psychological issues. I'm concerned for my friends safety based on your posts, as well a your mental health. No offense but for your sake you need to seek some professional help, and get yourself sorted out. The best of us struggle at times, but don't let an obsession get out of hand and ruin the lives of multiple people. Get some help man, religious, professional, philosophical, whatever, but take care of yourself and get this obsessive behavior under control.

      Delete
    5. This is Viola. My academic studies have specialized in information specific to violence against women and the things that lead to it. While you maybe havent been "violent" that doesn't mean you haven't caused harm. Here's an article for you to read about "nice guy syndrome," which I see signs of in your comments:https://sites.duke.edu/develledish/2012/01/30/the-good-guy-myth/. I recognize you are unlikely to want to take the information from someone you don't know, but I challenge you to look for this same topic from a source you do trust. Since there are literally hundreds of articles about it. Academics is where I go when I see a problem, but I hope you understand the goal is for you not to follow (in the real or virtual life) awkward Mormon girl any more.

      Delete
    6. Seamstress again. Sorry, you probably do understand being human. That was rude of me. I apologize. It's just... seeing someone across the room isn't the same as getting to know someone. And if you really did just want her to talk to you, this was a pretty silly way to try to get her attention. Because I don't trust you to be around her now.

      Delete
    7. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Dude... Seriously? That stalker part was dead on. You went from zero to holy hell in 2.0 seconds bro

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've taken screen shots of your entire post for documentation. Fyi. Creepy. We are VERY protective of Awkward Mormon Girl. -Pepper

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment paired with your creepy origins was pretty great to read.

      Delete

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?