Saturday, August 6, 2016

Kathryn's Return

Do you remember Kathryn?

I've had the same phone number for eight years. Since day one, I've gotten many phone calls for somebody named Kathryn. Most of these calls indicate that Kathryn is in some kind of financial and/or legal trouble, which maybe is why she changed her phone number without telling anyone.

Two years ago, I got a phone call from someone claiming to be Kathryn's half-brother's aunt, Beverly. Beverly had actually hired a private investigator to track Kathryn down so that Kathryn could in turn help the nephew track down their father. The private investigator dug up my phone number but not, it would seem, anything that would actually lead to Kathryn's whereabouts.

That was the last thing I heard about Kathryn for a while.

"She's probably dead," La Petite said when I told her about how no one in the world seemed to know where Kathryn Ramin-or-Atwater (which were the two last names Beverly said she uses) was.

That was a likely guess, but one I nonetheless hoped wasn't true. I wanted Kathryn to be alive so that I could someday find out more about here. That was a story here, and I wanted to hear it. There was a mystery; I wanted to solve it.

Almost two years have passed since Beverly called me, and I haven't heard much about Kathryn since. But, finally, this week, I got a phone call from a number in Ohio.

"Hi, my name is Barbara. I'm calling from PDS Mediation Services for Kathryn Ramin regarding your direct involvement of an account that will be filed in my office against you. I do need to speak with you regarding this matter. So the number for you to return my call is ___. Have a good day."

Well.

Well well well.

It looks like Kathryn is alive and kickin' (and in Ohio?). And it looks like she's still causing problems. I looked up PDS Mediation Services, and it seems to be some kind of legal firm.

I am astounded at Kathryn's ability to somehow avoid detection just by giving out the wrong phone number. Is it a clever ploy? Or a complete accident? Maybe she has no idea that so many people have somehow ended up with this phone number. Maybe she is unaware of the face that she's in trouble with various groups because the groups are never able to reach her and tell her that she's in trouble. Maybe.

Either way, I think I sounded a little too jubilant when I called Barbara back. I explained the situation, and Barbara said that she wouldn't call me again, but I kept babbling.

AWKWARD MORMON GIRL: It seems like nobody's been able to find her, so...good luck with that!

Maybe I should have said, "And let me know when you do!" but Barbara seemed to really not want to talk to me anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?