Thursday, May 25, 2017

Brisket and Offensive Carrots

Guess who's running short on time again today? *raises hand*

I have this Disney cookbook that was originally published in the 70s. Being from the 70s, it features Disney characters that are somewhat obscure nowadays, like Brer Rabbit.


In case you didn't know, Brer Rabbit is from Splash Mountain, but before that he was from Song of the South, a movie that almost everybody finds offensive for a variety of contradictory reasons. I have a second Disney cookbook that was published in the 2000s, and Brer Rabbit is nowhere to be found because the character is very controversial if not as offensive as his movie. In spite of this, I decided to try his carrot recipe. My grandmother had a copy of this cookbook in her home when I was young, and I would read the recipes over and over again. This recipe always sounded especially good, considering that it was made from vegetables and all.

To go with my offensive carrots, I decided to make a nice brisket. I've never actually cooked a brisket before, so I followed the package instructions to the letter. I put it in to boil for three and a half hours; however, it was still alarmingly pink inside.

Housekeeping tip: If you are making a corned beef brisket, it is supposed to be pink inside, and if you panic and put it in your Crockpot to cook overnight, you will not only look silly, you will overcook the brisket somewhat and it will not taste as good.


The carrots, however, were excellent.

1 comment:

  1. I had this book as a child and loved to read it over and over again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?