Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Rollercoaster

This post doesn't have anything to do with the Phineas and Ferb episode "Rollercoaster." Although now that I've said that, I'm having deep regrets about my choice of subject matter for the evening. Why do I blog about anything else when I could blog about Phineas and Ferb?! I need to sort out my priorities.

I don't have the hardest life, but I don't have the easiest life either. My life is sort of like that episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender when the fortune teller tells Sokka, "Your future is full of struggle and anguish, most of it self-inflicted." Many of my problems are self-inflicted. It comes of being the type of person my generation commonly refers to as Gryffindors. Gryffindors do things they're afraid of. They do things they know might not turn out well. If anything, they do them because they're afraid of them and know they might not turn out well. If they were more passive, if they tried a little less and cared a little less, Gryffindors' lives would be so much easier.

I know someone who, when I'm wrestling with one ongoing problem or another, advises me to give up. This person says that it's easier to be happy when you don't try or hope for anything because then you never have to be disappointed.

While I understand the logic behind the thought, it's not something I agree with. Life is for being sad just as much as it's for being happy. I don't necessarily like being down, but I do like the sensation of having gone down and then back up again. Like on a rollercoaster (now you understand the post title). On a rollercoaster, you often go down before going back up. And if you embrace the bumps instead of bracing against the bumps, things may go better for you.

In closing, here's another Avatar: The Last Airbender quote.
"I know sometimes it hurts more to hope and it hurts more to care, but you have to promise me that you won't stop caring."
-Katara

Oh, and since I brought it up...


ACTUAL FOOTAGE OF PHINEAS AND FERB ON A ROLLERCOASTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?