Saturday, April 19, 2014

Because of Him

Over the past week, I've been seeing posts tagged #BecauseofHim all over Facebook and Twitter.

And I've kind of been like, "What is this? Is it one of those things where everyone thinks they know what you're talking about but your post is actually about where you leave your purse at the end of the day which somehow supports breast cancer awareness?"

Today, however, I realized that this tag is referencing Easter and the Atonement and all the things we've gained because of His sacrifice in that most momentous of human moments.

Since I have somewhat to say about this matter, I immediately decided to further postpone the twenty-seven other blog posts I have in the works right now and publish this one instead.

My basic understanding of the Atonement can be summed up by one of Christ's parables. The parable goes more or less like this:

Once upon a time, there was a man who borrowed money from a creditor, promising to pay it back on such-and-such a day. When such-and-such a day arrived, however, the man who borrowed the money (the debtor) was unable to pay the money back.

"I don't have the money," said the debtor to the creditor, "but please be merciful to me."

And the creditor said, "But you signed this borrowing-money contract. If I tell you it's okay, you don't have to fulfill it, then what's to become of borrowing-money contracts? Or contracts in general? Justice demands that contracts be fulfilled. To deny that would be to deny justice, and justice is important."

"But so is mercy," argued the debtor. Each was equally convinced that the quality they were championing was important. Yet the importance of the quality the other man was stressing was important, too. So the whole thing kind of reached an awkward standstill.

In the words of Boyd K. Packer,
There they were: One meting out justice, the other pleading for mercy. Neither could prevail except at the expense of the other.

“If you do not forgive the debt, there will be no mercy,” the debtor pleaded.

“If I do, there will be no justice,” was the reply.

Both laws, it seemed, could not be served. They are two eternal ideals that appear to contradict one another. Is there no way for justice to be fully served and mercy also?

There is a way! The law of justice can be fully satisfied and mercy can be fully extended—-but it takes someone else.
Enter a man who offers to pay the debtor's bill. That way, the money demanded by justice is given to the creditor, but the debtor does not have to pay what he at this time cannot afford. He will instead later pay the debt to the man who stepped in aka the mediator.

Always as I read this parable, I see myself as the debtor. God knows (and I mean that very literally) that I make stupid mistakes frequently. A mediator makes repentance and redemption possible for a wayward soul like me. If I had to pay the immediate and full price for my sins and mistakes, no doubt I would not be able to bear it. Through the Atonement, Christ suffered the immediate and full price in my place, and allows me to pay him back in what ways I am able.

The debtor is saved! Jesus Christ, the mediator, has redeemed her and given her another chance! Huzzah!

Recently, however, I've found occasion to put myself in the place of the creditor instead.

Had the creditor not received his money, he would have been wronged. The price needed to be paid to him for justice to be satisfied.

Have you ever been in a situation like the creditor? A situation where someone has wronged you? Did you feel that a price needed to paid?

If you say "No, I've never felt like that," then you are the nicest person in the world and possibly also one of the Three Nephites.

If you say, "Yes, I know what you mean," then you are human, like me.

There have been times when I've said to myself, "This person really hurt me. I want to forgive them, but they're not even sorry. They haven't made up what they've done to me. If I forgive them without demanding an apology or amends, it would be merciful, but would it be just? Would I help this person by showing them love and kindness, or would I hurt them by essentially allowing them to live consequence-free?"

These questions sometimes really bothered me. The other day, when I was studying a completely unrelated matter, I was hit with this realization:

When someone has wronged me, that's a mistake on their part, possibly even a sin depending on the circumstance. Either way, Jesus Christ steps in and takes the full brunt of that wrong.

This helps the person who wronged me, for sure. But it also helps me. I know that the price for the unkind action has been paid by a mediator. So whether the wrongdoer ever understands what they have done to me and feels remorse or not, the price has been paid. Justice is satisfied.

Knowing that, I am free from the need to demand justice. I can then be merciful without holding back. I can forgive without hesitation or doubts.

The Atonement is what makes repentance possible when we are in debt, but it is also what makes forgiveness possible when someone is indebted to us.

How amazing.

How wonderful.

And it's all because of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?