Thursday, January 22, 2015

Mathively Confused

One year, I had the worst math teacher in the history of math teachers. He didn't teach us very much math; instead, we spent most of the year learning how to program spreadsheets.

His personal favorite was a spreadsheet that would help us keep track of our stock. Because, you know, teenagers and stock go together like live and stock. Or stock and ing. Or this wordplay and me.

Anyways, this class was my introduction to the stock market. Our teacher would turn the TV on to the stock channel or whatever and then we'd all watch the numbers running across the bottom of the screen.

One night I was at Viola's home, as I often was. That's what best friends are for, really. You practically live in their homes, eating their food and playing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in French on their Nintendos.

At some point that evening, her parents mentioned that they enjoyed watching Numbers.

Viola and I continued doing whatever teenagerish thing we were doing until I asked Viola, "So...your parents like to watch the stock market?"

2 comments:

  1. Though I remember you asking that, I don't think you ever told me why you thought that's what they were watching. This has been an enlightening read.

    -Viola

    ReplyDelete

Questions, comments, concerns, complaints?